Τρίτη 31 Ιουλίου 2012

Noelle Hamlyn









uncovering  the  blanket
paper  embroideries  
so  much  depends
paper  embroidery
uncovering  the   blanket  form 
Complicated Kindness
breathing  room  --detail 
Traces  and  subtexts







Artist Statement
I am intrigued by the possibilities of textiles – of textures and fibres to evoke emotion. I believe that our sense of touch is one of the most powerful and profound vehicles of human experience. Philsophically I believe touch and haptic sense can tigger emotional responses that are more profound than language. Thus, I am drawn to materials with strong tactile qualities as metaphors through which to explore concepts such as memory, relational attachments,  cultural, family  and personal narratives.

I am deeply committed to well crafted work. To me, the technique and execution of the idea are as important as the concept itself. I am not afraid of creating beautiful objects.

Working with materials such as embroidered gampi paper, tea bags, book pages, silk, raw and hand spin wool, spun paper, and cotton, and using techniques such as smocking, free motion embroidery, hand spinning, weaving, burning and the wearing away of material, I create figurative and abstracted forms that are densely layered, much like the memories and stories with which I work.